Am I a candidate?
LASIK Vision Correction in Atlanta, Georgia
For the right candidate, LASIK can be an incredibly effective way to address refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. However, if you are not a good candidate, LASIK risks are much higher when you undergo this procedure. If you wear contacts, click here for a cost analysis of LASIK vs. contact lenses.
The best way to determine if LASIK is right for you is through a comprehensive examination with one of the Atlanta eye surgeons at Woodhams Eye Clinic. This evaluation consists of over 15 advanced tests performed by our highly trained technicians and interpreted by our doctors. Please call us at 770-394-4000 today to schedule your initial Atlanta LASIK consultation.
To be a good candidate for LASIK you should:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have healthy, scar-free corneas
- Have had a stable vision prescription for at least one year
- Be free of eye diseases and conditions such as glaucoma, kerataconus, or cataracts
Good candidates for LASIK should not:
- Be pregnant or nursing
- Have uncontrolled diabetes
- Have an auto-immune disorder
During your Atlanta LASIK consultation, Dr. Woodhams will examine your eyes and consider your medical history to better gauge your candidacy.
Good candidates for LASIK must have sufficient corneal thickness. This becomes less of an issues with advanced LASIK techniques such as intraLASE®, but thin corneal tissue may require PRK which is a different type of laser vision correction. Unhealthy corneas will disqualify you from LASIK candidacy. Pupil size can also be a factor, as large pupils can extend past the treatment area and distort vision in higher light situations.
Why you may NOT be a good candidate for LASIK:
- If your LASIK Rx is too high (over -9)
- If your corneas are too thin (something we will check in your LASIK evaluation)
- If you have kerataconus (uneven and progressive thinning of the cornea), high hyperopia (over +3 or so), or presence of cataracts or other disease such as macular degeneration, amblyopia (lazy eye), previous LASIK (we may be able to do PRK). Our staff is happy to any questions you may have.
The best candidates for LASIK have realist expectations about the benefits and limitations of this treatment. You should also be fully aware of potential risks. LASIK is largely considered safe and can help you achieve crystal clear vision, but results vary based on individual factors beyond the control of even the most skilled eye surgeon. Dr. Woodhams will honestly discuss these things with you during your initial consultation to help you determine if LASIK is right for you.
If you live in or around Atlanta, Georgia and would like to learn if you are a good candidate for LASIK, please contact Woodhams Eye Clinic today to schedule your initial consultation.
Take Our Self Evaluation Test
Woodhams Eye Clinic is the premier vision correction clinic in the country.