Cataracts - What are the symptoms?
Cataract Surgery and Vision Correction in Atlanta, Georgia
Cataracts occur frequently in people over the age of 50. As we age, the lens in our eye starts to cloud and blurs our vision. At Woodhams Eye Clinic in Atlanta, our doctors can detect the development of cataracts in your eyes and restore your vision with cataract surgery using the PreLex™ procedure.
Common Cataract Symptoms
Cataracts begin when protein in your eye lens clumps together, causing a yellow or brown discoloration of your lens and cloudy vision. Often a cataract will not affect your vision significantly in its early stages. You may not even notice the initial development of a cataract. But as it enlarges you may notice any or all of the following:
- Your vision may be hazy or blurred. This can feel like you are looking through a cloudy piece of glass.
- Colors may seem faded and less vibrant and take on a yellowish tint.
- You may notice glare from headlights or lamps or see a halo around lights.
- The sun can appear too bright, and you can develop a general sensitivity to bright lights.
- You can develop poor night vision, which will make it difficult to drive safely at night.
- You may experience double vision or multiple images in one eye. As the cataract enlarges, this symptom may actually improve.
The type of cataract you have will affect the kind of symptoms you notice and how soon they occur in the development of your cataract.
Detection by Your Eye Care Professional
The best way to determine if you have cataracts and are ready for cataract surgery is to consult with an eye care professional. At Woodhams Eye Clinic, our doctors will assess your eye care needs using the latest in vision technology, and we'll recommend treatment that is right for you. The only treatment for cataracts is surgery.
Cataract surgery is an outpatient procedure, performed at our state-of-the-art surgical center in Atlanta, Georgia. During surgery, Dr. Woodhams will remove the natural lens in your eye and replace it with an acrylic or silicone intraocular lens that will allow your eye to behave naturally. The procedure is relatively painless and often only requires a local anesthetic to numb the nerves around your eye.
To learn more, please see Questions about Cataracts.
If you think you have cataracts and are in need of cataract surgery in the Atlanta area, please contact Woodhams Eye Clinic to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced doctors.